In this essay I assess how old ways of thinking about ourselves need to be challenged on every front, if humanity is to emerge into a creative future, at home in the Universe.
Our ways of looking at life and shaping human society are self-evidently no longer workable for the rest of this century or millennium. So what do we do to initiate a peaceful global awakening that will potentially draw humanity past its turbulent adolescence and on to its maturity?
As Neale Donald Walsch explains, the project we need to unite to build is nothing less than a new humanity. We need to recognise our global situation and manage change to minimise harm to the people caught up most in impacts from climate change and the disturbance that will follow to global economies in the decades ahead and beyond. We will best do this if we have a fresh look at what many are coming to see as a new “revelation of God” . The historic faiths were built around a series of “revelations” by human beings for whom “God”, “Life” the “All” was experienced as a deep reality by the faith founders. (This experience is not unique to the religion founders but is a common human experience, whether we are “believers” or secular people – it expresses in simple awe and in the mystical and creative processes of the creative arts and writing.)
“..the consciousness that learns it is at the origin point of the Universe is itself an origin of the Universe. .. We are all of us arising together at the centre of the cosmos.”
- Every human being is special – you are all messengers
- No path to God is more direct than any other path – there is no “one true religion”
- God needs nothing
- God is not a singular super being, in or outside the universe – God cannot be hurt or damaged and has no need to seek revenge or impose punishment
- All things are only One thing – all things are part of the One
- There is no such thing as right and wrong – there is only what works and does not work
- You are not your body. Who you are is limitless and without endYou cannot “die” and you will never be damned.
Creation is an ongoing present process [in God]
- God is coming to be
- There is not God and some “stuff-out-of-which-he-makes-his-creatures”. Without the ever sustaining presence of God, everything collapses.
- God is the source of all things. God is being-ness itself, reality itself.
- Pantheism / Panentheism – replacing a transcendent, patriarchal view of God
- Mysticism and the divine feminine – using symbol and liturgy, encounter with nature and celebration of the feminine in God
- The sacralisation of nature – affirmation of the material and nature / life as participation in divinity
- The sacralisation of the self – as a manifestation of the divine – with human consciousness derived from the supra-consciousness of the “All”.
- Understandings of Religion – as culturally and historically bound and thus metaphorical – enabling a growing spirit of ‘ecumenism’ and- my addition- interfaith encounter.
To move to a workable future a new global politics needs to be shaped. Fundamental change is essential, as we make the necessary transition to a global “commonwealth” of peoples and nations able to manage the necessary moves to equality and mutuality and handle the potentially profound impacts of our 20th Century excess and greed.
The God we glimpse is present in all life: the source of love, the foundation of all that is. Our life is rooted in that experienced 'presence' in those moments of deepest experience, knowing and creativity. What we do is informing the All – eternally evolving and growing. I dream that we can together save this world for yet further lives well lived, as part of an ever evolving humanity sustaining life on this earth, as we awaken more and more to our home among the stars in All that is and is becoming.